All Hail the New Form I-9!
The long awaited new Form I-9 was issued this week for employers to familiarize themselves with. Consider it a holiday gift come early for employers who will not have to begin using the new form until January 22, 2017. With the early issuance employers have the choice of either letting this figurative gift remain unwrapped (i.e. unused) or you may open it now or any time before January 22, 2017, and begin using the new form. Let there be no question though, you may use the current version of the I-9 (form dated 03/08/2013), but come January 22, 2017, all employers must use the new Form I-9 for all new hires, rehires and re-certifications (of work authority).
The new form can be found at - https://www.uscis.gov/i-9.
Highlights from the new form include:
- Less information for foreign nationals in Section 1
- Additional space on the form for translators
- Additional space for notation information!
When completed on a computer -
- The new form will auto check certain information imputed, similar to what employers often receive who use third-party electronic storage systems
- Drop-down calendars
- On-screen instructions to assist with completion of fields
- Clear and print buttons on the form
Thompson Coe’s Tips of the Week are not intended as a solicitation, do not constitute legal advice and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.